The “Festa del Redentore” is a feast to give thanks for the end the end of the terrible plague that struck Venice in 1575 for 2 years.
With the decision of the Doge Alvise Mocenigo II, there was built the magnificent church, work of the great Venetian architect Andrea Palladio, and Antonio Da Ponte, on the island of Giudecca. The church is named “Il redentore” after the “Lord the saver”. It was consecrated in 1592.
On every third Saturday of month of July each year, on this festival the island of Giudecca is connected to Venice by a votive bridge made of boats. By the blessing of the Patriarch of Venice, makes the opening of the bridge and the festivity. The evening ends with a spectacular fireworks organized over the “San Marco” basin.
The next day, Sunday, three traditional races “Regata” are held with typical Venetian boats.